Sing Tao Limited, its subsidiaries and/or its affiliates (including Junior Standard and Student Standard) are hereinafter collectively referred to as "the Company", "we", "our" or "us".
We provide various services including but not limited to membership of the Company, electronic news, information, newsletters, product selling and/or purchasing, games, message boards, album, chat rooms, and/or forums ("the Services") through different forms, means, medium and channels, including the Company's website ("Website").
It is our policy to comply with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) of the Laws of Hong Kong ("the Ordinance"). The meaning of "personal data" in this PPS is same as that defined in the Ordinance.
About this PPS
This PPS will give you information about our practices regarding collection, use and disclosure of information including personal data that you may provide to us whether via the Website or not. Please read this entire PPS carefully before using the Services or submitting any information including your personal data to us.
For the avoidance of doubt, this PPS does not apply to any personal data which you transmitted to third parties, and we are not responsible for the manner in which such data is/are collected and/or used by such third parties.
If you are under the age of 13, you must obtain consent from your parent or guardian before providing any personal data to us.
In order to facilitate the provision of the Services, you may be required to provide us with your personal data.
When we collect personal data from you, whether through the Website or not, you will be provided with this PPS and Personal Information Collection Statement ("PICS") (where applicable) on the relevant communication materials. By submitting your personal data to us, you agree to the terms and conditions of this PPS and our relevant PICS, and consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal data in accordance with this PPS and our relevant PICS.
In the event of any inconsistency between the terms in this PPS and those in our PICS, the latter shall prevail.
Types of Personal Information Collected
When you use the Services, we may collect various types of personal data from you, including but not limited to, your name, username, password, address, contact phone number, gender, date / year of birth, country of residence, occupation, qualification, year of working experience, interest, and e-mail address.
If you purchase certain goods or services when using the Services and choose to use credit card for payment, you may be required to provide us with your credit card account number and its expiry date.
You can determine whether to provide the requested personal data in the voluntary field(s) or not. However, if you do not provide the requested personal data in the mandatory fields, it may render us unable to process your application/registration/request and/or provide the Services to you.
Purposes of Collection/Use of Personal Data
The purposes of collection/use of your personal data include but not limited to:-
- provision and improvement of the Services, and designing new service to be provided by us;
- communication by us to you;
- direct marketing and promoting purposes, subject to your prior consent. Please refer to section "Direct Marketing" below;
- marketing research and analysis;
- verification of identity of users who have posted advertisements, materials, messages, comments or such other information on the Website and other platforms of the Company;
- other internal use, including but not limited to improvement of the content of the Website and other platforms of the Company;
- protection of our legal rights and interests;
- investigation of complaints and suspected suspicious transactions or activities; and/or
- compliance with the laws of Hong Kong including governmental or regulatory requirements.
Cookies and IP Addresses
When you visit or use the Website or other platforms of the Company (including but not limited to electronic mobile devices) (collectively "Digital Media"), cookies may be stored in your computer's hard drive or devices. The main purpose of using cookies is to make your interaction with the Digital Media faster and easier. We will not collect any personal data from you under this circumstance. You can set your browser to disable cookies, but if you disabling them, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Digital Media, including the Services (for example, banner redirection may not be available).
The Digital Media may also collect data when you visit or use Digital Media including your IP address (and domain names), the types of browsers, previous sites visited, and time/durations and the pages visited (hereinafter referred to as "visitor data"), the use of which is to provide aggregate, anonymous, statistical information (such as clickstream data) on the usage of the Digital Media's so that we may better meet the demands and expectations of the users to the Digital Media. We do not use, and have no intention to use, the visitor data to personally identify anyone.
Disclosure of Personal Data to Third Parties
Your privacy is highly respected by us and generally speaking, your personal data will be kept confidential but under the following circumstances will be disclosed to third parties:
- Your personal data may be disclosed to personnel, agent(s), adviser(s), auditor(s), contractor(s), supplier(s) or service provider(s) who provide services or advice to us in connection with our operations;
- Where it is necessary to take legal actions(s) against you on grounds of, including but not limited to, enforcing the terms of this PPS or other civil claims, your personal data may be provided to pertinent third parties for identifying and taking action(s) against you;
- Where we are required to make disclosure under any law applicable or pursuant to any court order, judicial proceedings, legal process or regulatory decision served on us, whether within or outside Hong Kong, your personal data may be disclosed to the relevant law enforcement agencies and/or regulatory bodies;
- Where collection of payments is necessary, your personal data may be provided to banks, financial institutions and/or recovery agencies;
- Where permitted under the "Terms and Conditions" on the relevant communication materials when using our Services; and
- Where the Company deems necessary in order to protect and defend its right and property and prevent or detect crime.
Except as provided in this section, your personal data will not be disclosed to any third parties without your consent.
Personal Data Provided By Third Parties
Some third party services or social networks (such as Twitter and Facebook) (hereinafter collectively referred to as "Third Parties") may also provide us with information (e.g. user ID, email address, friend list) from your accounts maintained with them with your permission.
By using our services through the Third Parties' platform or services, or by connecting to such Third Parties' networks, platforms or services via any social plugins on the Websites, and/or any of our services (including but not limited to Comments Plugin and "Like" button), you are authorizing us to collect, store and use in accordance with this PPS any and/or all information / personal data that you agreed the Third Parties could provide to us, through their networks/platform/Application Programming Interface (API), based on your settings in the Third Parties' accounts.
We may also receive information about you from users of the Website who consented to upload their email address and other contact information (e.g. friend list).
The aforesaid information provided by the Third Parties will be used primarily to help you to use our or Third Parties' services, and to contact your friends (e.g. sending emails/messages to your friends).
We, after obtaining your consent, may use your contact details for informing or delivering to you marketing materials of the Company and its business partners (restricted to those informed by or sent through the Company only) in relation to the specified classes of products and services for direct marketing purpose. For details, please refer to the relevant PICS.
If you do not wish to receive such marketing materials, you may opt-out from receiving such materials at any time, free of charge, by:
- following the "opt-out" instructions contained in the relevant communication materials;
- contacting us in accordance with the section "Access to and Correction of Personal Data" below; or
- if you hold a member account of the Company, [Manuel, pl. confirm] logging in your member account, then changing your setting on receipt of marketing materials.
Access to and Correction of Personal Data
Under the Ordinance, you are entitled to request access to your personal data collected by us (if any) and request the correction or deletion of your personal data from our database by completing and sending a completed Data Access Request Form (Form OPS003) ( www.pcpd.org.hk/english/publications/files/Dforme.pdf) to The Standard, Marketing Manager, Sing Tao News Corporation Building, 7 Chun Cheong Street, Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate, Tseung Kwan O, New Territories, Hong Kong. Please mark "Data Access or Correction Request" and, if possible, the name of event, activity or membership for which you provided personal data to us. If you hold a member account of the Company, you may do so by logging in your member account, update, edit or amend your personal data thereon at any time.
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal data submitted by you and to protect such data from loss, misuse, unauthorized or accidental access, disclosure, processing, erasure, alteration, or destruction. We are however not responsible for any loss, misuse, unauthorized or accidental access, disclosure, processing, erasure, alteration, or destruction of your personal data that have occurred in circumstances beyond our control. You are also reminded to take all steps to safeguard your own username and passwords from being made available to unauthorized parties.
We retain your personal data so long as the data is/are required for the purposes mentioned in the section "Purposes of Collection/Use of Personal Data" above.
Links to Other WebSites
Your use of our Services is subject to the Terms and Conditions of each individual Service posted on the relevant communication materials which may be amended from time to time.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this PPS or our practices in relating to the personal data, you may contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to The Standard Marketing, Sing Tao News Corporation Building, 7 Chun Cheong Street, Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate, Tseung Kwan O, New Territories, Hong Kong.
Changes to this PPS
This PPS is subject to changes and revisions from time to time. Please check periodically for updated version before you provide any personal data to us.
This PPS is written in the English language and may be translated into Chinese language. In the event of inconsistency between the English version and the translated version of this PPS, the former shall prevail.