Terms & Conditions
Thank you for your interest in subscribing The Standard – Student Paper (Student Standard) (hereinafter “Student Standard”, “Student Paper”, “the Company”, “this Service”, “we”, “us”, or “our”). Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully before using and/or subscribing this Service. If you are under the age of 18, you must have your parent or guardian read these Terms and Conditions and agrees to it for you before using and/or subscribing this Service, and the terms “you” and “Subscribers” (as defined below) used interchangeably in these Terms and Conditions shall refer to both of you and your parent/guardian (where applicable). We may amend, add or delete any provision of these Terms and Conditions from time to time in our sole discretion and such amendment, addition or deletion shall be effective immediately without further notice. Your continued access of and use of the information of this Website and Services shall be deemed to be your acceptance and compliance of these Terms and Conditions.
- Service Definition
This Service means the news information and contents in Student Standard (including the e-flipping version and web version) provided through the Internet or other electronic tools transmitted to the paid subscribers of this Service (“Subscribers”). Without further specifications, enhancing or reinforcing this Service, including any new functions, will be protected by these Terms and Conditions.
- Subscribers’ Liability
To ensure the normal use of this Service, Subscribers must comply with the followings:
- This Service is only available for Subscribers, and the access right to the Service cannot be transferred or passed on to third party;
- If you are using credit card to pay for the Service, you are deemed to authorize us and payment service provider to debit from your designated credit card account and agree the relevant terms and conditions of the payment service;
- The Subscribers must complete the subscription form of this Service with their updated, correct and complete personal information;
- Should it be found that any Subscribers are deliberately providing fake, incomplete or misleading information, we reserve the right to reject, suspend or terminate the access to the Service by the Subscribers without notice; and
- You must use and maintain at your own expense all suitable and normal functioning equipment, devices and accessories required to use this Service, including but not limited to computers, mobile devices, mobile data, networks, routers and others.
- Prohibition of Transferring Right of Use
This Service is only available for Subscribers. The Subscribers shall not without the express written consent of the Company resell, propose to resell or agree to resell the right of use of this Service. The information and contents obtained from this Service should not be copied, used, stored or saved for database content or for commercial purposes, or distributed to third party or network (including but not limited to local or regional network).
- Subscriber Ethics
Subscribers understand and agree not to use this Service and/or its content for any of the followings:
- Use this Service to violate other personal privacy, to conduct any immoral or illegal activities, threats, tracking, or to transmit any unlawful, illegal, defamatory, slanderous, insulting, harassing, abusive, obscene, misleading, obscene, vulgar, racist, sexist, homophobic or arousing hatred or discrimination message through use of this Service;
- Use false identity to provide any content of this Service or their source;
- Use this Service to collect and store data or information of others;
- Use this Service for sales promotion, multi-level marketing, direct sales, direct marketing, telemarketing, advertising mail, junk mail, chain letter, spam mail, questionnaire, survey, competition or to deliver any messages of commercial nature;
- Send or upload any computer programme containing viruses or malwares;
- Send or upload content violating intellectual property right, infringing other’s privacy, reputation, or commercial secrets;
- Fraudulent use of other’s identity to register or use this Service, or to commit identity theft or misappropriation of other's accounts for the Service, or misrepresentation of your relation with others;
- To interfere or disrupt this Service or its servers and networks which affects the normal operation of the Service, or to violate the rules or regulations of this Service;
- Deface or damage any contents provided by this Service;
- Restrict or inhibit any other person from using this Service, and
- Violate any applicable laws, rules and regulations.
Any violation of this Clause is a breach of these Terms and Conditions. The Company reserves the right to terminate any account or subscription without prior notice to the relevant Subscriber and to seek all remedies available for breach of any term of these Terms and Conditions.
The Company shall comply with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486).
- Subscribers’ login name, password and security
After successful registration , Subscribers will receive a password by email. Subscribers shall be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their passwords, and ensure no one else can use it for accessing to this Service. Subscribers also bear the responsibility for altering their passwords regularly for safety concern. Subscribers should agree the followings:
- If any known or suspected unauthorized use of the account and password or any safety problem is found, Subscribers must notify us immediately;
- Subscribers shall completely logout their accounts after using this Service each time; and
- Subscribers be responsible for all activities and usage under their accounts.
The Company bears no responsibility for any loss or damage incurred or caused due to non-conforming to the requirements under this Clause. Any violation of this Clause is a breach of these Terms and Conditions. The Company reserves the right to terminate or restrict your access to the Service and your subscription account forthwith. Any illegal activity may be a ground for termination of your subscription account. The Company may at its sole discretion refer you to the appropriate law enforcement agencies.
- Useful Links
This Service may contain links to other related websites, resources, partners and sponsors. You understand and agree that the Company is not responsible for their availability or their content (including information, products and advertisements), and your loss, damage or injury resulting from your access or inability to access thereto, or from your reliance on any information provided therein. Subscribers should direct any concerns regarding any external link to the site administrator or webmaster of such site.
- The Company is only responsible to use reasonable skill to provide this Services and on an “as is” basis . Subscribers are solely responsible and liable for any loss, damage or risk resulting from using of this Service;
- The Company makes no warranty that: (i) this Service or any of its content or information has met or will meet your expectations or any specific standards or requirements; and (ii) this Service will not be affected by any interference, be timeliness, secured and reliable or without errors;
- We will use reasonable efforts to provide up-to-date and accurate information in this Service but makes no representations, warranties or assurances as to the accuracy, effectiveness, currency or completeness of the information provided under this Service.
- We shall not be liable for any damages, loss or injury incurred from the accuracy or reliability of the Service, and also not responsible for any compensation for any interruption or suspension of this Service; and
- The Company and its personnel, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents, holding companies, subsidiaries or representatives shall bear no responsibility and liability to any damages, loss or injury of Subscribers or any third parties caused by this Service, including but not limited to those incurred from publishing, organizing, interpreting, adapting, reporting, issuing or distributing inaccurate or omitted any content in this Service.
- Change of Terms and Conditions
The Company reserves the right to temporarily or permanently modify, change, cancel, delete, amend or add to these Terms and Conditions, including but not limited to revise the subscription fee, service content, service layout and function, at any time without notice. All amended terms and conditions shall be immediately effective from the date of publication and/or posting. You agree to review and comply with these Terms and Conditions periodically to ensure that you are aware of such modifications. You agree that the Company shall not be liable to you and other third party in relation hereto.
- Change, suspend or terminate the Service
The Company reserves the right at any time to modify or terminate Subscriber’s account password, user name, service or content provided (including but not limited to layout, multimedia content and functions), temporarily or permanently, without written notice to the Subscriber. The subscription of this Service cannot be changed or terminated for any reason. Subscribers agree the subscription fee and any payment for this Service will not be refunded, wholly or partially, under any circumstance.
Subscribers agree to indemnify and compensate the Company, and its personnel, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents, representatives, holding companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensors, business partners and any other third party for any loss, damage, harm or claim arising from your violation of any of these Terms and Conditions (including but not limited to any related interest, penalties and legal expenses).
- This Service will notify Subscribers on the changes or updates of this Service or other related matters by email, mail, or through this Service.
- Spam filters or email systems may automatically transfer incoming emails to folders other than the inbox, such as “Spam”, “Trash Bin”, “Delete” or “Archive” folder. Subscribers shall check every folder in the email system to avoid missing any latest information of this Service.
- If Subscriber finds that the emails sent from this Service or the Company fall into “Spam Email” folder, Subscriber can mark the email as non-spam, then it should be automatically moved to the “Inbox” folder (depends on the function of the email system).
- Subscribers can also add the email address of this Service (i.e. email@example.com) into the address book of the email system to enable the emails sent by this Service or the Company fall into the “Inbox” in the future.
- Intellectual Properties
All contents of this Service, including but not limited to, any software, icons, text, links, graphics, photographic images, sound clips, music, video clips, artworks, literary works, musical works, artistic works, sound recordings, cinematographic films, program-carrying signals, published editions, computer programs, sound and television broadcasts, trade names, logos, trademarks and service marks are restricted to your own online browsing and your own personal and non-commercial use. All contents of this Service are protected by law, including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark law, and are the properties of the Company and/or third party contributors. You are not allowed to reproduce, duplicate, copy, amend, distribute, publish, create, recreate, sell or resell the contents or derivatives of this Service, or in any way exploit any part of the Service, unless otherwise permitted in advance by the Company in writing. The copyright of the contents of this Service is co-owned by its original authors and the Company. Anyone who wish to reprint, reuse or repost any content of this Service must obtain written consent from its original author and the Company.
- Governing Laws and Jurisdiction
These Terms and Conditions shall be construed and governed by the laws of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (“HKSAR”). You agree that any dispute arising hereunder shall be submitted to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of HKSAR.
- In the event that any clause or part of any clause in these Terms and Conditions is declared or adjudged by any court of competent jurisdiction to be void or otherwise illegal, invalid or unenforceable for whatever reason, then these Terms and Conditions shall be read and construed as if such clause or part thereof were not contained herein without affecting the other terms of these Terms and Conditions.
- Any person or entity who is not a party to these Terms and Conditions shall have no rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Ordinance (Cap. 623 of the Laws of Hong Kong) to enforce any terms of these Terms and Conditions.
- In case of dispute, the Company reserves the right of final decision.
These Terms and Conditions were last updated on July 8, 2021.
Sing Tao Limited, its subsidiaries and/or its affiliates (including Goodies, Junior Standard and Student Standard) are hereinafter collectively referred to as "the Company", "we", "our" or "us".
We provide various services including but not limited to membership of the Company, electronic news, information, newsletters, product selling and/or purchasing, games, message boards, album, chat rooms, and/or forums ("the Services") through different forms, means, medium and channels, including the Company's website ("Website").
It is our policy to comply with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) of the Laws of Hong Kong ("the Ordinance"). The meaning of "personal data" in this PPS is same as that defined in the Ordinance.
About this PPS
This PPS will give you information about our practices regarding collection, use and disclosure of information including personal data that you may provide to us whether via the Website or not. Please read this entire PPS carefully before using the Services or submitting any information including your personal data to us.
For the avoidance of doubt, this PPS does not apply to any personal data which you transmitted to third parties, and we are not responsible for the manner in which such data is/are collected and/or used by such third parties.
If you are under the age of 13, you must obtain consent from your parent or guardian before providing any personal data to us.
In order to facilitate the provision of the Services, you may be required to provide us with your personal data.
When we collect personal data from you, whether through the Website or not, you will be provided with this PPS and Personal Information Collection Statement ("PICS") (where applicable) on the relevant communication materials. By submitting your personal data to us, you agree to the terms and conditions of this PPS and our relevant PICS, and consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal data in accordance with this PPS and our relevant PICS.
In the event of any inconsistency between the terms in this PPS and those in our PICS, the latter shall prevail.
Types of Personal Information Collected
When you use the Services, we may collect various types of personal data from you, including but not limited to, your name, username, password, address, contact phone number, gender, date / year of birth, country of residence, occupation, qualification, year of working experience, interest, and e-mail address.
If you purchase certain goods or services when using the Services and choose to use credit card for payment, you may be required to provide us with your credit card account number and its expiry date.
You can determine whether to provide the requested personal data in the voluntary field(s) or not. However, if you do not provide the requested personal data in the mandatory fields, it may render us unable to process your application/registration/request and/or provide the Services to you.
Purposes of Collection/Use of Personal Data
The purposes of collection/use of your personal data include but not limited to:-
- provision and improvement of the Services, and designing new service to be provided by us;
- communication by us to you;
- direct marketing and promoting purposes, subject to your prior consent. Please refer to section "Direct Marketing" below;
- marketing research and analysis;
- verification of identity of users who have posted advertisements, materials, messages, comments or such other information on the Website and other platforms of the Company;
- other internal use, including but not limited to improvement of the content of the Website and other platforms of the Company;
- protection of our legal rights and interests;
- investigation of complaints and suspected suspicious transactions or activities; and/or
- compliance with the laws of Hong Kong including governmental or regulatory requirements.
Cookies and IP Addresses
When you visit or use the Website or other platforms of the Company (including but not limited to electronic mobile devices) (collectively "Digital Media"), cookies may be stored in your computer's hard drive or devices. The main purpose of using cookies is to make your interaction with the Digital Media faster and easier. We will not collect any personal data from you under this circumstance. You can set your browser to disable cookies, but if you disabling them, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Digital Media, including the Services (for example, banner redirection may not be available).
The Digital Media may also collect data when you visit or use Digital Media including your IP address (and domain names), the types of browsers, previous sites visited, and time/durations and the pages visited (hereinafter referred to as "visitor data"), the use of which is to provide aggregate, anonymous, statistical information (such as clickstream data) on the usage of the Digital Media's so that we may better meet the demands and expectations of the users to the Digital Media. We do not use, and have no intention to use, the visitor data to personally identify anyone.
Disclosure of Personal Data to Third Parties
Your privacy is highly respected by us and generally speaking, your personal data will be kept confidential but under the following circumstances will be disclosed to third parties:
- Your personal data may be disclosed to personnel, agent(s), adviser(s), auditor(s), contractor(s), supplier(s) or service provider(s) who provide services or advice to us in connection with our operations;
- Where it is necessary to take legal actions(s) against you on grounds of, including but not limited to, enforcing the terms of this PPS or other civil claims, your personal data may be provided to pertinent third parties for identifying and taking action(s) against you;
- Where we are required to make disclosure under any law applicable or pursuant to any court order, judicial proceedings, legal process or regulatory decision served on us, whether within or outside Hong Kong, your personal data may be disclosed to the relevant law enforcement agencies and/or regulatory bodies;
- Where collection of payments is necessary, your personal data may be provided to banks, financial institutions and/or recovery agencies;
- Where permitted under the "Terms and Conditions" on the relevant communication materials when using our Services; and
- Where the Company deems necessary in order to protect and defend its right and property and prevent or detect crime.
Except as provided in this section, your personal data will not be disclosed to any third parties without your consent.
Personal Data Provided By Third Parties
Some third party services or social networks (such as Twitter and Facebook) (hereinafter collectively referred to as "Third Parties") may also provide us with information (e.g. user ID, email address, friend list) from your accounts maintained with them with your permission.
By using our services through the Third Parties' platform or services, or by connecting to such Third Parties' networks, platforms or services via any social plugins on the Websites, and/or any of our services (including but not limited to Comments Plugin and "Like" button), you are authorizing us to collect, store and use in accordance with this PPS any and/or all information / personal data that you agreed the Third Parties could provide to us, through their networks/platform/Application Programming Interface (API), based on your settings in the Third Parties' accounts.
We may also receive information about you from users of the Website who consented to upload their email address and other contact information (e.g. friend list).
The aforesaid information provided by the Third Parties will be used primarily to help you to use our or Third Parties' services, and to contact your friends (e.g. sending emails/messages to your friends).
We, after obtaining your consent, may use your contact details for informing or delivering to you marketing materials of the Company and its business partners (restricted to those informed by or sent through the Company only) in relation to the specified classes of products and services for direct marketing purpose. For details, please refer to the relevant PICS.
If you do not wish to receive such marketing materials, you may opt-out from receiving such materials at any time, free of charge, by:
- following the "opt-out" instructions contained in the relevant communication materials;
- contacting us in accordance with the section "Access to and Correction of Personal Data" below; or
- if you hold a member account of the Company, [Manuel, pl. confirm] logging in your member account, then changing your setting on receipt of marketing materials.
Access to and Correction of Personal Data
Under the Ordinance, you are entitled to request access to your personal data collected by us (if any) and request the correction or deletion of your personal data from our database by completing and sending a completed Data Access Request Form (Form OPS003) ( www.pcpd.org.hk/english/publications/files/Dforme.pdf) to The Standard, Marketing Manager, Sing Tao News Corporation Building, 7 Chun Cheong Street, Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate, Tseung Kwan O, New Territories, Hong Kong. Please mark "Data Access or Correction Request" and, if possible, the name of event, activity or membership for which you provided personal data to us. If you hold a member account of the Company, you may do so by logging in your member account, update, edit or amend your personal data thereon at any time.
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal data submitted by you and to protect such data from loss, misuse, unauthorized or accidental access, disclosure, processing, erasure, alteration, or destruction. We are however not responsible for any loss, misuse, unauthorized or accidental access, disclosure, processing, erasure, alteration, or destruction of your personal data that have occurred in circumstances beyond our control. You are also reminded to take all steps to safeguard your own username and passwords from being made available to unauthorized parties.
We retain your personal data so long as the data is/are required for the purposes mentioned in the section "Purposes of Collection/Use of Personal Data" above.
Links to Other WebSites
Your use of our Services is subject to the Terms and Conditions of each individual Service posted on the relevant communication materials which may be amended from time to time.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this PPS or our practices in relating to the personal data, you may contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to The Standard Marketing, Sing Tao News Corporation Building, 7 Chun Cheong Street, Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate, Tseung Kwan O, New Territories, Hong Kong.
Changes to this PPS
This PPS is subject to changes and revisions from time to time. Please check periodically for updated version before you provide any personal data to us.
This PPS is written in the English language and may be translated into Chinese language. In the event of inconsistency between the English version and the translated version of this PPS, the former shall prevail.
student.thestandard.com.hk is owned by Sing Tao Limited, its parents, subsidiaries and/or associated companies (hereinafter collectively referred to as "the Company"). All contents of student.thestandard.com.hk are owned and/or controlled by the Company and/or the party credited as the provider of such contents and are protected by worldwide copyright laws. You may not copy or use the contents in any way except for your personal and non-commercial purposes or with the prior written authorization of the Company or the party credited as the provider of such contents.
*If you need to reproduce in a large quantity our photos or articles for promotion, advertising, publication, instruction use...
*If you need to upload our photos or articles onto an Intranet or the Internet...
*If you need to store our photos or articles in an electronic archive, CD-Rom...
Please send in your application letter to the attention of our Information Services Manager. To facilitate processing, please enclose a photocopy of the requested articles or photos as far as possible when sending over your application letter to us. Please feel free to contact our Information Services should you have any questions.
Our contact info:
By post: Information Services Department,
3/F , Sing Tao News Corporation Building, 7 Chun Cheong Street,
Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate, Tseung Kwan O,
New Territories, Hong Kong
By phone: (852)- 2798 2937 or (852)- 2798 2844
By fax: (852)- 2115 9271
By email: email@example.com
Please supply us with the following information:
- Contact Information
- Job title
- Organization Address
- Business nature
- Contact phone no., fax no., email address, etc.
- Details of photos or articles needed
- Newspaper name (e.g. Sing Tao Daily, The Standard, Student Standard etc.)
- Publication date
- Publication section & page (e.g. P7)
- Headline/ Caption
- Reporter/ Photographer
- INTENDED USE (e.g. academic purpose, advertisement, newsletter etc.)
Academic purpose, we need to know
- Course name
- No. of copies to be reprinted
- Distribution date/ period
To reprint in the media, we need to know
- Name of the media
- Format to be reprinted
- Size to be reprinted
- Position to be reprinted
- Circulation volume
- Publication date/period
- We take into account a number of factors in determining whether an application is successful or not as well as the amount for copyright fees/royalties. The factors include but not limited to: the business nature of the applying organization; the uniqueness of the requested materials; the publications or media in which our materials will be re-published; how our reproductions will be used or distributed etc.
- We also base on the following principles or conditions in considering applications:
- We only grants reprint permission for all contents, including articles, photos and graphics, produced by or copyrighted by us. We do not grant permission for syndicated comics, columns, wire news stories, photos and graphics from other news agencies or freelancers who hold the copyright of the works.
- The right to reprint is non-exclusive and non-transferable. The reprinted material is supposed to be used one time for a stated purpose. Additional publication requires a new reprint permission request and applicable fees.
- The content will be used in its entirety, without editing or alterations that would otherwise infringe our copyright in the works or discredit The Standard and its affiliated companies or business.
- Credit line, copyright and disclaimer data must be inserted with the reprint as follows in this example:"Copyright 2021 Student Standard. Republished here with the permission of The Standard. No further republication or redistribution is permitted without prior written approval of the Sing Tao Group. All rights reserved."
- Requestors who receive the material via electronic means need to erase all electronic or digital forms of the reprinted material after use.
- As far as possible, a copy of the publication in which the material is reprinted should be given to The Standard for record purpose.
This Copyright Notice was last updated on July 8, 2021.
- Student Standard digital subscription plan is only available for internet accounts which are registered in Hong Kong and users who are agreeing to be bound by Student Standard Terms and Conditions.
- Successful subscription which is paid by credit card will receive the login information immediately and can start using this Service upon activation. Subscribers who paid by cheque will receive the login information by registered email around one week after successful transaction. Use of this Service will be available after activation.
- 3. The content of Student Standard is updated every Tuesday and Thursday (public holiday and school holiday excluded). The schedule may vary depending on the decision of editorial team or other factors.
- The digital subscription plan is limited to internet users registered in Hong Kong; the IP addresses must be registered through Hong Kong Internet Service Providers (ISP).
- Please note that ISP in some regions may have long-term or short-term signal interference or blocking to some IP addresses (may include The Standard e-flipping paper or some of the content), which results in fail to login of subscribers (whether be noticed in advance). Subscribers must bear the above said risk.
In case of dispute, the decision of Student Standard shall be final and binding.